Match Report: Contest with Algonquin brings Belmont Girls Win


Tight Match Ends in Victory for Belmont Girls over Algonquin

Date of Contest: 5/17/17

Varsity (1st XV) Score:   Belmont 20                 Opponent 10

Belmont High traveled to Algonquin Regional High School for a league match on Wednesday May 17th.  At the kick off, Algonquin came out strong with a well structured and organized defensive line. Though Belmont held onto the majority of possession, they struggled to break the gain line as Algonquin showed exceptional defensive skills. Halfway through the first half, a knock-on advantage by Belmont was scooped up by an skillful Algonquin player and returned through the hands of supporting Algonquin backs to take the first try of the game. Both teams played a tight back and forth, with exceptional defensive skills displayed by junior flanker Kail Pellicane and junior outside center Rachel Iler-Keniston to go into the half with Algonquin up 5-0.

In the 2nd half Belmont came back to fix the lack of offensive urgency from the beginning. And right away they began chipping at Algonquin’s heels. A tremendous line break from sophomore fullback Gabby Viale tied up the match at 5-5. This score turned the momentum in Belmont’s favor, and brought a shift in the pace at the offensive line. Phase after phase, Belmont punched the ball at Algonquin with a second try crashed in by Iler-Keniston bringing the game 10-5.  Over the next 10 minutes two loose ball opportunities were scooped up by Belmont backs and  run in by sophomore wing Hannah Hlotyak and a second score by Viale bringing the game to 20-5. With 10 minutes remaining in the game, Algonquin was to be counted out, and they punched at the breakdown repeatedly, working the Belmont structure. A penalty conceded by Belmont in their own 22 gave Algonquin the opportunity they’d been looking for and with 2 minutes remaining they scored a tough crash line through the Belmont defense to bring the game to 20-10, where it stayed to the final whistle. Credit goes out to both teams for tough play for all 70 minutes in unseasonably warm, 90 degree conditions. At the end of the game the ref complimented both teams for one of the most disciplined games of rugby he’d ever officiated, with only 9 penalties called in the entire match against both teams. This match up will be repeated again as these teams face off for a final time in the MIAA State Championships in June


Comments are closed

Sorry, but you cannot leave a comment for this post.